Saturday, April 26, 2014

DOWNBEAT

I think of returning
her call
while the beatles
play in the background
their moptops flopping
in the theater of my memory
and as I run through
the things I might say to her
the stones are stomping
through my room in 4/4 time,
and before I know it
richards' guitar licks
are lighting my empty
bed on fire. moments
later, when I start
to punch her numbers
into my phone
and I hear the ringing
in my ears
CCR and the eagles
and fleetwood mac
battle it out,
springsteen and
aerosmith tag team
in the hallway and I'm nearly
unconscious as clapton
re-hardwires the synapses
in my brain.  When she
finally picks up
and says hello, I'm left
with one inescapable truth:
I'm old
enough that
the classic rock station
is a metaphor
for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment