Saturday, December 14, 2013

NEW POET

I taught my students
how to write poetry
this past week. First,
I shared some of my philosophy
and then we read
a few modern poems
because I knew the old ones
would put them to sleep.
Next, I made them
write some little word
pictures, some portraits
of what they saw
outside of the classroom.
They were gone for maybe
twenty minutes, wandering
around the campus like
little neophyte Ginsbergs and
Kerouacs, observing
and cataloging images.
When they came back
they had a handful
of little word pictures.
As they turned them in
one girl read a few
as they came up her row
and then she looked at me
and said I didn't think
these were going to mean
much but I just read
some and there were
a few that were
so powerful and intense.
Now she knows why
I always say that
poetry has saved my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment