Monday, December 16, 2013

SEEING STARS (OR, WHY I DECIDED NOT TO BE FAMOUS)


maybe it was Jimi or 
Janis when I was only
seven, sacrificing their
magic in a halluncinatory
dream of alcohol and drugs.

maybe it was Freddie Prinze
when I was fourteen
with a gun in his hand
Quaaludes and bullets
spread on the table 
in front of him like 
deadly M&Ms.

Maybe it was Rebecca Schaffer
when I was twenty-seven
who died, not by her own hand
Or bad choices,
but by a dream
machine that murdered her
with its bottomless need.

Maybe it was River Phoenix
when I was thirty. I watched
the news about him
at a comedian friend’s condo
as he lay dead on the street
In front of The Viper Club. 

Maybe it was Kurt Cobain
Who pulled the trigger
The following year, when I was thirty one
And starting my actual career, waiting
for my family to begin,
who taught me the final lesson

About what is necessary 
for The Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment